The Muirhead family resided in the Carberry district and built the house in the 1880s. It is constructed of squared poplar logs in a style similar to those made on the western coast of Canada. A “lean to” kitchen was added in later years making the house more spacious.
The kitchen contains such household items as an icebox, stocking stretchers, and ironing board (circa 1918), a dash churn, yarn winder, and a hand-carved rolling pin. The cookstove is of interest – the oven is on top of the stove allowing a more even distribution of heat. It also features a side warming oven and holds a heartshaped waffle iron, sad irons and a copper kettle.
The parlour houses a pump organ, which is in excellent condition. Mrs. Muirhead, whose portrait hangs above the organ, played it in the Sommerville Church near Carberry for fifty-five years. Since this room was used for entertaining guests, the lamps are very fancy with intricate decorations. A phonograph, a crystal set of vinegar cruet, salt and pepper shakers, etc. are displayed on the buffet.
A sideboard in the dining room shows off the family’s best dishes. The sideboard was constructed in Ontario with three hundred made of this design.
The master bedroom contains a dresser and washstand circa 1875. The brush of the dresser set is made of ebony while the comb is made of bone. A powder music box plays “Tea for Two” when wound. An 1899 calendar hangs on the wall.
The upstairs of the house contains three bedrooms: a guest room, hired man’s room and a child’s room.
The brass bed in the guest room has a nightgown draped over it, suggesting company. A chain purse, button-up boots, button hook, and curling iron in the room further complete this suggestion.
The stark bareness of the hired man’s room shows that he was given only the necessities: a rough, plaid woolen blanket and a crude wooden chest for his personal belongings.
Naturally, toys are the prominent feature of the children’s room. The teddy bear was made in 1912. The rocking horse, miniature ironing board and sad iron are also featured. The baby shoes were first worn in 1893.
A gas lamp, donated by the Assiniboine Park in Winnipeg stands beside the house.